- Many drugs that are misused (like cocaine) can cause problems like heart attacks and high blood pressure.
Lung and breathing problems
- Some drugs can hurt your lungs.
- Smoking cigarettes can cause diseases such as cancer and emphysema, a painful lung disease.
- Smoking cigarettes and marijuana can cause lung infections and coughing.
- Heroin and pain medicines can make you stop breathing.
- Inhalants can hurt your lungs and airways AND stop your breathing.
- Many drugs like cocaine, heroin, and pain medicines can make your stomach hurt and make you throw up.
- Drugs like cocaine and heroin can hurt your kidneys.
- If your kidneys stop working, you can die.
- Alcohol and inhalant misuse can cause liver disease.
HIV/AIDS and hepatitis
- Injecting (shooting up) drugs with a needle can hurt your veins.
- Using dirty needles can give you HIV/AIDS and hepatitis. Hepatitis is a serious liver disease.
Most of these problems can cause you to be very sick or die.
NEXT: Drug Use Hurts Brains