Here are some questions to ask yourself or someone you know. If the answer to some or all of these questions is yes, you might have an addiction.
- Do you think a lot about drugs?
- Did you ever try to stop or cut down on your drug use but couldn't?
- Have you ever thought you couldn't fit in or have a good time without drugs?
- Do you ever use drugs because you are upset or angry at other people?
- Have you ever used a drug without knowing what it was or what it would do to you?
- Have you ever taken one drug to get over the effects of another?
- Have you ever made mistakes at a job or at school because you were using drugs?
- Does the thought of running out of drugs really scare you?
- Have you ever stolen drugs or stolen stuff to pay for drugs?
- Have you ever been arrested or in the hospital because of your drug use?
- Have you ever overdosed on drugs?
- Has using drugs hurt your relationships with other people?
Drawn from Am I an Addict? (PDF, 44KB) © 1988, by NA World Services, Inc. Reprinted by permission. All rights reserved.